Waterjet Cutting – Five BenefitsShea Bethell
Five Benefits of Water Jet Cutting
It doesn’t matter whether you are new to water jet Cutting or already make use of water jet technology for your manufacturing, the benefits of water jet cutting are always important to know. This article will explain five benefits of water jet cutting to help you make a better, and informed decision when deciding on a cutting method for your next project.
First off, it is important to note that there are two kinds of water jet cutting methods:
Pure Water jet Cutting – Used for the cutting of soft materials such as foam or paper by using only the water stream for the cutting of the material.
Abrasive Water jet cutting – A granular abrasive is added directly to the water stream. This abrasive accelerates the power of the cutting stream and enables the cutting of extremely hard materials such as metal, stone or ceramics.
Below are five Water jet cutting benefits outlined, enhancing your overall water jet technology knowledge!
1. Few Material Limitations
Water jet cutting is versatile applicable, cutting nearly any material; composites, plastics, metals, glass, stone or rock, ceramics, and rubber. With the addition of a granular abrasive, a water jet cutting machine can perform quality cuts on materials up to 200 mm thickness.
2. No Heat Affected Zone (HAZ)
A major advantage of water jet cutting is that no heat affected zone (HAZ) occurs due to its cold cutting method. Not only does cold cutting enable clean cuts, but also increases the operators’ safety significantly by eliminating the risks of burns.
3. No material distortion
Through its cold cutting method, the heat exposure can be bypassed, which is especially critical for materials like metal, leading to a fine cut without distortion in the material. This results in a smooth and burr-free cut.
4. No additional finishing process
The immediate high cutting quality ensures a precise result, avoiding an additional finishing process. This significantly accelerates the cutting process and saves time, increasing the overall efficiency.
5. No hazardous waste
The growing importance of environmentally friendly processes throughout the industries is becoming more apparent. A significant advantage of waterjet cutting is that it does not create any hazardous waste in the form of fumes and gases, unlike other cutting technologies.
Common Water Jet Applications
- Kitchen and Bathroom Splash-Backs
- Frame-less Shower Screens
- Tempered and Bullet-Proof Glass
- Flooring, Table Top and Wall Inlays
- Contoured Glass
- Stained Glass Such As Crafts, Church Mosaics and Lamp Shades
STONE & CERAMICS
- Custom Border Tiles
- Floor and Wall Inlays
- Kitchen and Vanity Counter Tops
- Stepping Stones
- General Architectural Applications
- Stainless Steel
- Tooling Steel
- Laminates Including Kevlar
- Used In Automotive, Marine and Aeronautical Applications
- Metal, Copper, Teflon, Rubber, Cork-board, Stainless Steel and Graphite Laminates
FOAM & RUBBER
- Customised Foam Packaging Products
- Automotive Interiors and Bodywork (Door Components & Instrument Panels)
- Dense Foams Used For Sound Insulation, Vibration Isolation and Archery Targets
- Natural Rubber, Plastics, Cork, etc.
- Titanium Bodies For Use On Military Aircraft
- Engine Components Including Titanium and Heat-resistant Alloys
- Aluminium Body Shapes
- Interior Cabin Panels
- Interior Foam & Trim Including Carpets, Trunk Liners, Instrument Panels, Door Panels
- Fiberglass Body Components – Insulation, Firewall, Bumpers etc.
- Truck Bed Liners
- Circuit boards (populated & unpopulated)
- Cable stripping (insulation coverings)
- Meat processing (frozen fish, chicken nuggets or strips, etc.)
- Vegetable slicing (celery, mushrooms, etc.)
- Home insulation (“pink” R-value insulation)
- Panel insulation (typically 4′ x 8′ sheets cut to fit specific applications)
- Boat bodies (trim cuts & hole cuts for mounting/assembly of body)
- Personal Watercraft (PWC) bodies
- Chemical Weapons
- High Explosives
- Corrugated Cardboard
- Paper (Where product water resistance is not crucial)
- Exotic Insulation Products
- Fabrics – Can Cut Numerous Layers at Once
- Sports Shirt Letter & Numbering
- Nappies, feminine hygiene and health care products
For more information on our water jet capabilities, view our services page or contact a friendly Aluminium Trading Sales person.